Summertime

Summertime
Summertime, summertime, sum, sum, summertime!

Monday, February 15, 2010

President's Day ~ The celebration of George Washington's Birthday

When I was in grade school I always remembered  my teachers putting up silhouettes of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln in celebration of their birthdays.  Being that I wasn't a politically minded child, the idea of respect for our leaders and their working on behalf of others for good and a better nation was my learned lesson.  I also appreciated the morning ritual of standing and saying the Pledge of Allegiance.

"It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible". 
                                                                    George Washington

All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower whereever the flower would grow in  thought and mind.
                                                                   Abraham Lincoln

As I get older, I have a greater appreciation for the weight the President's of our nation must carry on their shoulders and  I'm grateful for the ones that include God as their guidance.

Silhouettes from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission ~ Washington Crossing Historic Park
Digital Image Library ~ Indiana Historical Society

Kris

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails